Sometimes spring cleaning means discovering that ants or other pests have infested your home. Since insecticides and mouse poisons and traps are so dangerous for dogs and cats, use them sparingly and supervise your pet around them at all times.
Outdoor Spring Cleaning Dangers for Animals
According to the National Pet Poison Hotline, the following outdoor items can be highly poisonous to dogs and cats:
- Mulch: The product you use as a soil covering might be made from the shells and hulls of cocoa beans. Both of these are by-products of chocolate, which is highly toxic to dogs in particular.
- Compost: Mold often grows in the organic materials of compost once it has deteriorated. If you don't keep a rope around the mulch, you run the risk of your pet eating mold and becoming very ill.
- Fertilizers and Soil Additives: When these items contain iron, feather meal, bone meal, or blood meal, they are dangerous to animals due to the risk of obstruction in the gastrointestinal tract.
- Slug and snail baits: These pellets to keep pests out of your garden are highly toxic to dogs and cats. Ingestion can be fatal to your pet if not treated for several days.
Plants to Keep Away from Pets
The National Pet Poison Hotline states that several indoor and outdoor plants are potentially dangerous for animals. To keep your four-legged friend safe, avoid getting or planting the following:
Lily of the Valley
If you do suspect that your pet has swallowed something toxic, contact Cedar Pet Clinic 651-770-3250 or afterhours the National Pet Poison Hotline at 1-855-764-7661.(available 24 hours a day, every day of the year)
Photo credit: karandeav | Thinkstock.com